Friday, December 29, 2017

Of Pain and Joy

Bonjour nos amis!

I have some amazing news to share, but first let me preface it.

Five years ago I started suffering from unknown pain on my left side, as well as stroke like symptoms, a constant migraine, pressure behind my left eye, strange auras, tingling sensation in left side, numbness in left side, a strange reaction to hot and cold on my left side (cold feels warm, hot feels warm-and I mean the extremes), the inability to detect sharp objects on my left side, and as recently as last month we found out my body has directional confusion on the left side (when my eyes are closed and my digits moved, up feels like down, left feels like right and so on). Throughout this entire time I have been experiencing massive fatigue, like imagine feeling like you ran two back to back marathons fatigue, after about five minutes of any activity (granted on a good day it took three hours to feel like this, but still...). So yeah lots of crud, mind you I have also accomplished in the last three years, I've still managed to work some and I am closer now than I have ever been to gaining a Bachelors Degree among other things. But the illness continues, and I am still hurting something fierce most days, and most days I feel entirely exhausted just from getting out of bed.

Now you're like, "man is he going to let us know what is "amazing" as he said earlier?" Maybe you aren't like that, but whatever, the answer is yes.

Yesterday I went to my new doctor who I have been seeing since right before Thanksgiving, who actually has some ideas as to what I have as well as a treatment plan. So since about 2 weeks ago I started this new treatment plan, I still hurt, but (and this is a huge but- like elephant sized) I have noticed since about a week and a half ago I have more energy, simple tasks take less spoons (see previous post by me) and I have been able to do more in the last week than I have been able to do for previous weeks (or even previous holidays). It has been exciting, and granted I have had a few terrible awful no good days, they have been further spaced out. I was thinking maybe it's the medicine working, like actually working, not just a sudden working (like poof! pain gone), because things have been getting better bit by bit after initially getting MUCH worse, it has been a gradual change but a welcome one.

Anyway yesterday when I went to my doctor he ran some of the tests that have been done about a billion times since this all started, like the test where they poke you all over with their and ask "does this hurt" previously it had always hurt in every spot touched on the left side, yesterday there were spots that didn't, I thought that was amazing, BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!!! He proceeded to check reflexes, HR, BP, etc.  He then grabbed a tack to test sharp sensations on my as every other doctor has done with me when starting to treat me (particularly neurologists- as it has to do with nerves- that is feeling the sensation of sharp stuff on your body). I closed my eyes and he started to check my right side first, I felt the sharpness of the tack on each part of my right side and let him know. Then the strangest thing happened that hasn't happened in nearly five years, he pricked my left pinkie and I KNEW it! Because I FELT it! I said yes to something I hadn't said yes to with any other doctor in the last 5 years. He tested the other four digits on my left side as well as my arm and the only parts that didn't feel the sensation of sharp was my middle and pointer finger. Tears filled my eyes, as they do now, as I said yes to each sensation felt. Something is happening, and I am cautiously optimistic, but I think my doctor is onto something that will help me get better. I am so elated and grateful that I found him and he is helping me. I feel extremely bless by the lord, and am so grateful for the prayers and good feelings you have sent my way.

Till next time, au revoir!
Nate

B.T.W. I keep telling Kirie she needs to post, but shes about to pop because our next baby is due so soon. But I'll keep bugging her till she does.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your language kind.